Dream Act Pray In Arrest | Crime
What started out as a peaceful demonstration in support of the DREAM Act ended in an arrest Tuesday.
Diego Ibanez went before a federal magistrate Wednesday because he refused to leave Salt Lake's Bennett Federal Building. While other members of the group demonstrated outside Tuesday evening, Ibanez went inside, hoping to make a personal appeal to Sen. Orrin Hatch to pass DREAM Act legislation. Homeland Security guards told Ibanez and two others they were breaking the law. They were encouraged to accept a citation and go home. But Off. Ron Osbourne says Ibanez refused and asked to be taken to jail. He spent the night in the Salt Lake County Jail and appeared before a federal judge Wednesday. Ibanez could spend up to 30-days in jail in the federal misdemeanor charge but officials say that is highly unlikely.
Upcoming Events near Salt Lake City - Downtown
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hazmat situation resolved, no leak found official says
- New U-Turn in Kearns causes accidents, residents say
- Pursuit after crash nets suspect with more than $250,000 in warrants
- Nine dogs left after owner’s death searching for new homes
- Audit of Utah State Fair indicates low attendance, high subsidy costs