Dream Act Pray In Arrest | Crime
What started out as a peaceful demonstration in support of the DREAM Act ended in an arrest Tuesday.
Diego Ibanez went before a federal magistrate Wednesday because he refused to leave Salt Lake's Bennett Federal Building. While other members of the group demonstrated outside Tuesday evening, Ibanez went inside, hoping to make a personal appeal to Sen. Orrin Hatch to pass DREAM Act legislation. Homeland Security guards told Ibanez and two others they were breaking the law. They were encouraged to accept a citation and go home. But Off. Ron Osbourne says Ibanez refused and asked to be taken to jail. He spent the night in the Salt Lake County Jail and appeared before a federal judge Wednesday. Ibanez could spend up to 30-days in jail in the federal misdemeanor charge but officials say that is highly unlikely.
Upcoming Events near Salt Lake City - Downtown
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police arrest man who allegedly stole from several cars
- Salt Lake City airport brings in furry friends to help soothe flying fears
- Shannan Yates leads the top Freeriders in the world this week at Snowbird
- 2 families displaced after 2-alarm fire in Salt Lake City
- Armed man robs Salt Lake City bank, police release suspect’s photo