Utes’ safety Blechen suspended for three games | News
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah will have to start the football season without one of their best defensive players because safety Brian Blechen was suspended for three games for violation of team rules.
Utes head coach Kyle Whittingham is not saying what Blechen did, but it was serious enough to suspend him for three games.
The junior strong safety from Moorpark, Calif., earned honorable mention all Pac-12 honors last season as a sophomore. He was the Utes third-leading tackler last year and snagged three interceptions, bringing his career total to seven.
Linebacker Nai Fotu only got a one-game suspension after being arrested for driving under the influence last year.
Blechen will miss the season opener versus Northern Colorado and the in-state rivalries with Utah State and BYU. He is expected to return for the Pac-12 opener Sept. 22 at Arizona State.
Upcoming Events near Salt Lake City - Downtown
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police arrest man who allegedly stole from several cars
- Salt Lake City airport brings in furry friends to help soothe flying fears
- Shannan Yates leads the top Freeriders in the world this week at Snowbird
- 2 families displaced after 2-alarm fire in Salt Lake City
- Armed man robs Salt Lake City bank, police release suspect’s photo