Campaign calls for LDS Church to ‘Let Women Pray’ | News
SALT LAKE CITY – A Mormon feminist group has started a campaign to allow women to give opening and closing prayers during General Conference meetings.
All Enlisted is the same group that encouraged female members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to wear pants to church.
Now they’ve started a campaign on Facebook where they encourage Church members to write six General Authorities and auxiliary leaders on the subject.
Those prayers are currently only given by general authorities of the LDS Church, who are all men.
The LDS Church sent a statement Wednesday in response to the campaign. It reads:
“Decisions on speakers and prayers at General Conference were made several weeks ago and assignments were given to the men and women involved last week. Customarily, details of the conference programs are not announced until General Conference.”
Upcoming Events near Salt Lake City - Downtown
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hazmat situation resolved, no leak found official says
- New U-Turn in Kearns causes accidents, residents say
- Pursuit after crash nets suspect with more than $250,000 in warrants
- Nine dogs left after owner’s death searching for new homes
- Audit of Utah State Fair indicates low attendance, high subsidy costs